As a techie geek I get asked for help from my friends all the time with setting up computers, recovering lost files and just about anything else you can think up.
I run a consulting business and charge a decent rate for my time but I always feel awkward charging friends. I wrote a blog post about this back in October that's worth a read:
Since that time I have don't several collaborative deals and people have been asking me what they can trade so I made a quick list:
If you want to barter for service there are a few things I can think of off the top of my head that we could pick from:
- Watch people's kids at the Lakeview Lodge Concerts (www.lakeviewlodgemusic.org)
- Watch my kids so Ali and I can have a date night
- Clean my gutters
- Install a new mailbox
- Prepare dinner for the family
- Clean garage
- Mount and frame 3 8×10 photos
- Fix the ceiling in my kitchen
- Put more insulation in my attic
- Purchase and install 4 guitar wall mounts
- Clean our windows
- Cut the dead branches out of the oak tree in my back yard
Some of these jobs are small and some are not but all things I would most likely need to pay someone to do for me.
With collaborative consumption everyone wins!